The archaic as in no longer commonly used definition of Perspective happens to be a lens or telescope. Specifically used in fine art or illustration it means giving depth to a sketch, drawing or painting on a two dimensional medium.
It is the illusion of depth created by optics or an artist.
In oral or written communication Perspective basically means one’s point of view.
To confuse the issue even further the Online Etymology Dictionary gives the derivation of the word as:
perspective (n.) late 14c., “science of optics,” from Old French perspective and directly from Medieval Latin perspectiva ars “science of optics,” from fem. of perspectivus “of sight, optical” from Latin perspectus “clearly perceived,” past participle of perspicere “inspect, look through, look closely at,” from per- “through” (see per) + specere “look at” (see scope (n.1)). Sense of “art of drawing objects so as to give appearance of distance or depth” is first found 1590s, influenced by Italian prospettiva, an artists’ term. The figurative meaning “mental outlook over time” is first recorded 1762.
Even more confusing is the fact that viewer or in this case the reader has their own Perspective or point of view modified by their own understanding of in this case what is written which is why if one really wants to understand what the writer is writing that they fully define any word they don’t fully understand using the definition used in the context of the passage or sentence. Part of what is considered Scientology Study Technology.
For those who have gotten this far I’d like to say that this is a blog for Scientologists and before I go on I’d like to define the word so that there is no misunderstanding as defined in Dianetics and Scientology TECHNICAL_DICTIONARY:
1. one who betters the conditions of himself and the conditions of others by using Scn technology. (Aud 73 UK) 2 . one who controls persons, environments and situations. A Scientologist operates within the boundaries of the Auditor’s Code and the Code of a Scientologist. (PAB 137) 3 . one who understands life. His technical skill is devoted to the resolution of the problems of life. (COHA, p. 12) 4 . a specialist in spiritual and human affairs. (Abil Ma 1)
I know that over the years there has been a redefinition of the word by others in particular the IRS to mean:
“A collective membership mark designating members of the affiliated churches and missions of Scientology.”
A full description of the change in the meaning of the above word and other changes made in the actual definition of what Scientology is by our “friends” in what Ron flippantly called “Infernal Ravening a organization over in the United States that practices legal banditry on all the citizens, and so on – the real government of the United States, since it’s the one that has the authority over every individual citizen, including senators, congressmen and the president…” 6312C31 copy is covered here.
An interesting site which has led pretty much a walk-a-mole existence popping up at different locations in the fertile ground of the World Wide Web.
Not that agree fully with the author or authors perspective but it does give one food for thought especially when one considers that back in June 14, 1965, Ron made the following declaration:
POLITICS. FREEDOM FROM
1. I hereby declare Scientology to be non-political and non-ideological.
2. Politics and ideology may be no part of any decision to train or process individuals, and any such interrogation shall cease to be a part of any application for training, processing or membership.
3. This does not change any policy relating to suppressive persons. It does delete any words in any form which seek to bring about a statement of political allegiance or antagonism.
4. It must be kept in mind and brought forward emphatically that Scientology does not work in the absence of official control and no matter who sought to use its principles, has uniformly failed in the hands of non-Scientologists and organizations not controlled by the Central Organizations of Scientology or myself.
5. The reason for this declaration is the consistent disaster visited upon her “allies” by the United States government and the efforts of that government since 1955, stepped up since 1963, to seize Scientology in the United States rather than forbid or stop it and the role played by the United States in inspiring the Victorian State attacks in Australia. Scientology technology is no longer offered to the United States government in any effort to assist her in political ends. Our participation extends only to our willingness to process U.S. officials as individuals unconnected with their political aims, if as individuals they are not debarred by other existing policies relating to treating the insane or our Ethics system.
6.All statements attacking any political entity or ideology are hereby withdrawn and cancelled in any lectures or literature.
7. Scientologists may be members of any political group on this planet without restraint only so long as these individuals or that group do not attempt to seize Scientology for their own warlike ends and so make it unworkable or distasteful by invidious connection.
8. Scientology is for a free people and is itself on this date declared free of any political connection or allegiance of any kind whatever.
Ironically many who consider themselves true Scientologists and claim they are “100% on source” “in tech” and “on policy” dismiss the idea that the US Government has tried “to seize Scientology” and as some believe may have actually succeeded thinking that the Old Man was just being “paranoid” or entertaining “Conspiracy Theories”.
A question one could ask. Is someone being “paranoid” if they really are out to get them?
According to meticulous research conducted by the late journalist Omar Garrison in his two well documented books The Hidden Story of Scientology and Playing Dirty; The Secret War Against Beliefs various agencies of the US Government have been involved in a Conspiracy that goes beyond the theoretical according to their very own documents.
To quote a line from an old Simon & Garfunkel standard The Boxer:
A man sees what he wants to see, And disregards the rest.
Instead they’d rather blame David Miscavige or Marty Rathbun or Mike Rinder or L Ron Hubbard or a book or policy or HCOB or some other Associative Restimulator for the current discord and disharmony amongst Scientologists instead of consider the possible that there may hidden factors involved in what even the mainstream media has acknowledged as a “War Between Scientologists“.
In fact I sent the exact technical reference to a group of Scientologists who as mentioned earlier claim to be “100% on source” and “on policy and in tech” etc. that could be applied to all this turmoil and conflict in the Scientology community only to be welcomed like a skunk at a picnic.
More on that later in another post.
To quote another music great Elvis Costello. “I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.” From (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.
Or to paraphrase. Why get mad? When you can write your own blog.
Anyway I’ll be taking up the topics discussed in this post in greater detail so stay tuned.